Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I'm cheap

Today, dear boy, you took a nap at our garden. You gave it a valiant effort to remain conscious but it was to boring watching Mommy weed. What you missed was the awesome that is Mommy staking our garden for less than $8. Do you know how many diapers that is? Two. For the price of two dollars mommy did this:

Staked:  5 tomato plants
              2 Pepper plants
              1 squash
              1 Cucumber
               Multiple pea vines.

Instead of buying plants stakes at a garden center, I went to lows and bought 2 10ft pieces of PCP tubing. I asked a gentlemen (that worked there, not just a random customer that was wandering around aimlessly) to cut the tubes into 2 1/2 sections giving me 8 stakes. The tubing only cost $1.78 and cutting is free (LOVE ME SOME FREE STUFF!).

So glad I had the foresight to weed before
taking cruddy pictures with my phone. 


I bought $2 worth of kitchen twin to use to tie the plants to the stakes and to make a trellis for the peas to climb. I still have about 2/3 of the twine left over.






I used small jingle bells and craft mirrors to scare away the various varmints that had eaten our first round of plants. They cost more than the stakes but their so pretty it was worth it. They cost about a total of $5. I got 40 jingle bells and 24 mirrors. Shout out to Grandma and Granddaddy for donating some old tomato cages (seriously , I soooooo tired of my plants running away and plant control having to round them up and bring them home).

All we are saaaying, is givve peas a chance!!!!

If you look long enough you'll discover the secret code I wove into the pattern. Give up?
It's a scene in outer space. Try unfocusing your eyes and moving slowly
 closer and further away from the screen

I am the most proud of our 43 cent pea trellis, one of the advantages of planting in a community garden is that people are willing to share. If someone has say, some extra bamboo, they leave it in the community tool pile ( not fully of jerky boys that use to much jell and "cologne" (cough cough PERFUME cough cough)). So mommy took some bamboo and leftover twine and created a small place for our peas to grow!!!!



I totally MacGyvered that thing, If I'd had a paper clip,
 I could have made a twin engine plane. 

Next nap time, since daddy will have the day off, mommy is going to go to the garden with some homemade bug/disease/insect (yes bug and insect are the same thing but I HATE them) spray so that the things growing the best in our garden aren't ant hills and arachnids(Ick, Shiver).


No comments:

Post a Comment